Who Is Jef?
Through my work I strive to empower children by making my performance a safe place for the children to interact with me, bridging the boundary between audience and artist.
- Included in the NC Arts Council's Touring Artist Directory
- Designated a Teaching Artist by the North Carolina Arts Council
- Included on the roster of the South Carolina Arts Commission
- a Fellow with the A+ Schools Program in North Carolina
- As a mime, I apprenticed with C.W. Metcalf and Tony Montanaro, with brief instruction from Jacques Lecoq.
- My other studies include:
- Acting with William Hickey at the H.B. Studio
- Clowning with Ezekiel Peterhof
- Period Dance and Style with William Burdick
- Commedia dell'arte with Joan Schirle and Donald Forrest at the Dell'Arte School
- Ballet with Beverly Shalomith
- Modern dance with Carol Richards
- Tai Chi Chuan with Frank Wong
- Other skills gained along the way include:
- Juggling and variety arts
- gourd crafting.
I have appeared in two UNC-TV special productions with the North Carolina Symphony: TOUCH Brings Music to Life, and Carnival of the Animals. When my movement/mime skills have been needed, I've also appeared in productions by other theater companies, including: as a mime with Omimeo in Charlotte, NC; as the plant, Audrey II in Atlanta and Raleigh productions of Little Shop of Horrors; as The Mute in Flat Rock Playhouse and Temple Theater productions of The Fantasticks; with his juggling partner, Ken Kaye, and as a street performer/juggler in the opera Pagliacci.